Donnerstag, Februar 21, 2013

Bento #20 - salad, give me more salad



Today I felt like I needed a good hearty, crunch, bitter-sweet salad. Besides making good use of leftover vegetables and lettuce from my fridge this bento finally got some homegrown salad from my allotment garden. I am ashamed to admit that today was the first time in months that I went there.  It was a very cold and muddy affair , but I was very happy when I found that lambs lettuce is growing like crazy on my neglected vegetable patches. As I never have enough time for my garden I am glad when some vegs and salad grow and spread their own seeds. I had some flowering lambs lettuce running to seed on my compost some years ago and ever since then thousands of little lambs lettuce appear every spring and all I need to do is harvest them and thin them out.
This salad tastes so good. because salad that isn't grown in the greenhouse had got real texture and flavour.
And the salad dressing was so yummy.

 
 But first, let me show you the  first sights of spring at my garden







I cannot wait till spring arrives and I can harvest the first violets and daisys for my salads and bentos.
I didn't  take a picture of my vegetable patch and the lambs lettuce. But it wasn't much of a sight anyway, being all very neglected and muddy.

What is much more exciting is today's salad:
Lettuce and lambs lettuce, apple slices(the apple needs to be a sweet one)and fennel slices for the crunch,peppery rocket, smooth boiled eggs and a honey-mustard sour cream dressing that countered the bitterness of the radicchio and was so yummy.


And as I was eating at home I could use one of my favourite bento boxes. I just love its look, but it isn't practical for taking food to uni. So when I stay home studying i love using that box.
Ah, and I nearly forgot, that i even had a side dish: leftover broccoli almond patties from yesterday and the radish-cress cream cheese.
Actually that was the first time I made a salad dressing sour cream, but it was so yummy that I am going to repeat that some time soon. The boiled eggs were supposed to be star shaped, but it was a total mishap, so I simply halved them. Anyway, it was really good. And as it is termbreak and I am study hard at home I think I am going to have some more salads for my bento.





 

Kommentare:

  1. Oh how I enjoyed this post! The almost-spring garden pics are darling and the salad brings the frisky freshness of the coming season right into your bento...yummy and delightful. C'mon, Spring!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Glad you like my post. Actually, what I love most about your posts (besides the bentos and pics from your trips) are your pictures of the seasons, the flowers, veg and markets.
      Only two days have passed since I took the pics , but winter has come back with all its might. It is freezing, snowy and stormy so I got myself some flowers to at least have spring in my kitchen.

      Löschen
  2. hey, das Bento ist echt fantastisch! Genauso toll wie die Bentos bei bentobird :D Darf ich fragen woher du diese Bambusbox her hast? *_*

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Danke:-)
      Die Box hat mir jemand aus dem Nekobentoforum verkauft. War echt ein Glücksgriff, weil ich so eine Box bisher nur sehnsüchtig auf anderen Blogs bewundert hatte.

      Löschen
  3. Bei uns schneit es den ganzen Tag und bei Dir wächst der Feldsalat cool. Dein Bento ist heute wieder so schön farbenfroh, dass ich mich nochmal aufraffe und mir Radieschen kaufen gehe und dann mache ich den Salat nach :D
    Liebe Grüße Danii

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Hallo, Du bist nominiert fuer den BEST BLOG AWARD...
    Alles Regeln und weiteres findest du findest du hier
    http://think-bento.blogspot.com.es/

    Liebe Gruesse

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. omg dein Bento sieht ja zum anbeissen lecker und schön aus! Bin ganz aufgeregt darauf, deine website zu durchstöbern (: sehr schöne Farben und Komposition~

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Wahnsinn, das Bento sieht so frühlingshaft aus... Da bekommt man richtig Lust auf Picknick - zu mal es hier nun auch endlich Frühling ist. :-)

    AntwortenLöschen